Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I hereby declare the bathroom done!

I don't know who originally said "The first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the project takes the other 90% of the time", but I hereby declare that I am saying it here, because it's appropriate, dammit.

The bathroom project started eons ago, when I first bought sandpaper to level out the bumps in the walls (made by uneven painting at some nebulous point in the past, before I owned the house) in preparation for painting. It began in earnest some weeks ago when we actually began sanding. It progressed through last week, when the painting was completed and the new shelving hung.

Tonight I used solvent to remove paint from the areas where I had inexpertly plyed it. We hung the border over two of the walls (and we need to get another sheet of border to cover the other two walls) and sponged the dripping glue off the walls before they left marks. I put up the new shower rings (to hold up the new shower curtain) and then cleaned the mirror and sink.

So, it's done. It's really more like 95% done...the wall under the vanity needs one more coat of paint, the door needs its interior side sanded and then painted, the wall plate for the light switch needs to be painted, and we need to put up another segment of border. But all of those are things that can be done in one industrious day, and that day is not today. If a wonderful coincidence happens and there is enough spare tile left over (from redoing the foyer and downstairs bathroom) to do the upstairs bathroom, that would be wonderful. It would be even more wonderful if that coincided with the purchase and installation of a new cabinet, sink, mirror and lighting...but that's for way down the line, if it turns out we'll be here for much much longer.

So the bathroom is done! Yay! Witness the power and glory that is home improvement, and pay obeisance! And I think it's time for bed. 8^)


( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Feb. 19th, 2002 06:21 am (UTC)
By that logic, the living room is 115% done.

I will declare the bathroom done when the rest of the border is hung and the light switch cover is painted ALL the way. (it's half painted now and looks ridiculous...incidentally, it would have been easier to paint before you put it back on!)

And we are NOT replacing the cabinets and mirror. I hearby declare that we will NOT be in the house long enough to justify it. So there! :^P It's a heckuva lot more livable now than before, but it's still too small, no matter what color we paint it!

Also, I'm pretty sure we will have enough left-over tile to do the upstairs bathroom too, and we should. But that is for a day far, far into the future!
Feb. 19th, 2002 07:13 am (UTC)
Congrats on the major progress. Feels good, doesn't it? :-)
Feb. 19th, 2002 07:10 pm (UTC)
Nope, not now that I know that every room needs to be brought up to 115% spec. 8^)
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )