Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Feeling unwell

Early on last week, I started to feel unwell. It started with no longer feeling good, then to feeling 'eh', then to feeling not good, and then feeling bad. Specific enough?

Yah, didn't think so. I started to feel less and less hungry, which, admittedly, is not a bad thing alone. It's not typical, mind you...I didn't get to 22 stone without feeling peckish from time to time. Then my belly (for lack of a more specific abdominal location) began to hurt after eating. I have to eat at least once daily, as some of my medicines require being taken on a full stomach...so having a painful gut after even a minimal breakfast is unsettling. I spent most of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in varying levels of discomfort, with other side effects for flavor (nausea, headache, etc.) Carbonated drinks became especially difficult, so I'm sure some of the headache issues were caffeine-withdrawal related.

A day or two of this? Okay, maybe it's a bug. Three or four days? Okay, time to call my doctor. I called on Friday to try to arrange an appointment for next week. The receptionist said, "Well, he's got nothing for next week. I can have him call you back and try to arrange fitting you in somehow." I agreed to that, not knowing that was not the message that he'd receive.

We played a little phone tag, and I eventually spoke to him on the phone.
He asked how I was, and I described my symptoms, but in more detail. He asked some specifics about my medications, then threw up his hands and said, "Well, I don't know what you want me to do. I can't diagnose you over the phone." I replied, "I didn't want you to diagnose me over the phone. I wanted to come in to see you...in person!" "Oh...! Well, that can be arranged." I'm due to see him at 7am on Monday morning.

I wasn't a very friendly or gracious host Friday night. I spent most of Saturday asleep, after discovering that my gut ailment was eased by lying down. I got up this morning and weighed myself, out of curiosity. Yeah, I've lost 10 or 15 pounds. So much for being 22 stone.


Jun. 25th, 2007 04:52 pm (UTC)
How did the appointment go? What did the doc say?
Jun. 25th, 2007 10:35 pm (UTC)
Sorry. There's not usually a lot of time to post prior to getting back from work. I'm feeling better than before (although not 100%) so the doc wants me to call back if it gets worse before Thursday, or call back on Thursday if things continue to improve. It could be a couple of things, but without getting radiology involved, he can't know for certain. It getting better on its own is a good sign.
Jun. 25th, 2007 10:39 pm (UTC)
Well, I hope you feel better and are able to eat more. After all, you wouldn't want to waste away to one me! (Admittedly, that unit of measurement has gotten slightly larger over the past few years...)
Jun. 26th, 2007 12:23 am (UTC)
My weight, as measured in the MD office this morning, was a few pounds higher than my last weight, sometime last year. In other words, even though I've wasted away some, I've only wasted partially back to my 3-Jonathan normal weight. I appreciate how you've managed to keep my weight the same by increasing yours...