Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

A productive weekend

Well, I've already set some of my list in stone. Here goes...

I ran errands all day long, not the least of which involved picking up Karen's wedding ring and ordering my own. The second most important one involved dropping off paperwork for the home refinance. There were others (e.g. hunting the wily kosher Krispy Kreme) but I managed to make it home by 4pm or so. I got to see Karen for a bit, then she had to head to where she was spending Shabbat. I lit candles, had dinner, and walked over to Scot's house to play some games.

Yes, walking in the open with the sniper still around makes you paranoid. And yet, here I am.

Scot's was fun. Things were low-key; just me, him, and his wife Miranda. I headed back and discovered to my horror that Howard and Denise had come over for Shabbat dinner and not found me. (they left a note) I was certain that they were coming over next week, but what did I know? Obviously there was an error, and I'd have to see them in synagogue to get it cleared up.

I succeeded in getting up on time and to synagogue almost on time. The parking lot was filling up, so it was going to be a busy day. I headed right to the kitchen, and spent the next three hours putting tablecloths on tables, setting up wine, putting food on the buffets, and lifting heavy stuff. Note that volunteering in the kitchen in preparation for feeding the congregation isn't 'work'. I did get a chance to eat and catch up with friends; it turns out that Howard and Denise had never confirmed dinner with us, so our not being there to feed them was not a major mistake. I got to see Cary & Jo, who got married last week; they're doing well (go figure) and checked in with a bunch of other folks as well. Then I went home and took a big nap.

Turns out my nap was too big. I woke up before the end of Shabbat, and as I was thinking of doing Havdalah, the phone rang. It was Cary & Jo; did I want to do dinner? Sure, why not? I tried to track down Karen, but couldn't find her. I tossed my cellphone in my pocket and the three of us hunted the wily pizza. We hung out at Ben Yehuda for a bit, and then swung back to the house. Turns out that I hadn't had signal, and failed to tell Karen where we were going. Oops. Mea culpa. At any rate, we hung out for a bit more and then the three of them headed out to their respective places.

Remember the nap? I couldn't fall asleep until about 3am. *sigh*

I had the alarm set for 7:30 to try to get myself going to the Renfest, but didn't feel all that hot when I woke. Last night's food was making me feel unhappy, and combined with the lack of sleep made me feel less than prepared to face the Renaissance. I called Karen to ask her of her plans and she told me she had yet another cold. Yuck. When Jo called to see if I was going to the Renfest, I told her that I was cancelling. Probably a good idea, because it was dark and rainy much of the day. I relaxed a bit until I was feeling better, then did some housework.

After a couple of hours, Karen came over. We got to work on laying linoleum in the foyer. Laura, wife of bodnej and home renovator extraordinaire, led our efforts. We got the new vinyl tile laid in about three hours, and still had more than a box left. I then decided that since I'd already pulled all the junk out of the front closet (it had the same old linoleum, so needed replacement as well) it was time to paint in there. The front door and the trim needed it as well, so Laura headed out, and I got to work. Karen brought us dinner (yay, dinner!) and headed out; I finished about an hour ago. It all looks good.

With the appraiser coming on Thursday to value the house, today's work was a Good Thing. If everything goes well, the equity in the house may pay for the wedding.

'nuff said. I'm off to bed.


( 5 comments — Leave a comment )
Oct. 20th, 2002 08:58 pm (UTC)
It's not my intent to nag, but you might find a single copy of that post adequate for your needs.

We'll be down for your wedding soon!
Oct. 21st, 2002 03:25 am (UTC)
When you ask it to post the entry, and it says "unable to post", you keep trying until it goes. I'll delete the others, but I couldn't even check to see how many there were. LJ lag.

See you soon.
Oct. 21st, 2002 06:49 am (UTC)
I've done the same thing myself. Rassinfrassin' "unable to post" message.
Oct. 21st, 2002 02:03 pm (UTC)
Re: Down to earth
That darn LJ. If it wasn't so cool it would really suck. :)
Oct. 21st, 2002 05:24 am (UTC)
LOL. Seth is special. He wants to make sure EVERYONE knows what's going on with his life and ensure that no one has the heart to skip his posts. ;)

We really can't wait to see you!
( 5 comments — Leave a comment )